This help topic is Open Game Content, and is licensed for public use under the terms of the
Open Gaming License v1.0a
This dialog allows you to create custom weapons and armor, giving them
magical bonuses, abilities and materials; and changing their size from
the default. To access them, go to the "Windows->Weapon Maker" and
the "Windows->Armor Maker" menus.
Creating the Weapon or Armor
Creating weapons or armor is a simple, step-by-step process:
- Choose a base weapon/armor. A summary of the base item's
properties, like damage dice for weapons or base AC bonus for armor, is
displayed in a textbox to the right.
- Check masterwork if desired. Magic weapons are masterwork by default. Some materials require that the weapon also be masterwork - this is not given automatically if you select such a material, check the description.
- Select a magical bonus. In standard rules, +10 is the maximum sum of the attack bonus + the bonus cost of the abilities.
- Change the weapon size for use by smaller or larger characters
- Double-click an entry in the list on the right to give abilities (magical or psionic) or assign materials.
- The price of the weapon is automatically calculated
- A name for the weapon is also automatically made, but you can edit it to whatever you desire.
Adding New Abilities
Weapon and armor abilities are handled by special standard items in the
"Weapon, Magic" and "Armor, Specific" item types. All that is required
to add an ability is to add a prefix to the name of the ability:
The first way to apply the effect of an ability automatically is to
give the ability a magical effect. For example, the "Resistance" armor
abilities have fields like Acid Resistance 10. The cost of the ability
is set in the normal "Price" field of the Item Editor.
If the price is 10 gp or below, however, this is interpreted as the
cost in "pluses", e.g. a +2 weapon with a +3 ability costs the same as
a +5 weapon. Higher prices are simply added to the calculated price.
- "Melee Ability:" for melee weapons.
- "Ranged Ability:" for ranged weapons.
- "Armor Ability:" for armor.
- "Shield Ability:" for shields. Abilities can be copied and
renamed if they apply to both armor and shields (or both melee and
For more complicated effects, you will need to use item scripting,
in the section Weapon Ability or Armor Ability. Item scripting can
automatically give extra dice of damage, or modify the cost of the
Materials for armors and weapons work in nearly the same way as
abilities. The only real difference is that the prefix needs to be:
Otherwise, price, scripting, and magical effects are all handled in the same way.
- "Weapon Material:" for all types of weapons.
- "Armor Material:" for armor and shields.
Documentation for DM Genie and Player Genie, page MagicalMaker. Copyright © Mad Scientist Studios, 2006.
Help Contents | DM Genie home page
Click here if you cannot see the table of contents on the left