Guide to Converting a DM Genie Campaign to Revision 3.5
This guide will help you convert your DM Genie/Player Genie characters to use the revised 3.5 rules. You will most likely still have a lot of work to do, especially for characters which changed a lot, like Monks and Rangers. For these it may be better to start again the leveling process from scratch (or create a brand new character).
First of all, Backup Your Data! You can use Winzip to save your entire campaign's directory (and subdirectories), or you can export the campaign from within DM Genie.
This procedure assumes you've been using a custom campaign. See the tutorial for instructions of creating custom campaigns.
1. Before reinstalling DM Genie for revision 3.5 export all custom items you've created (skills, feats, races, etc, if any). Use the File->Export menu and the "Find Custom" button in it. Don't export any of the standard skills/feats/etc.
2. Reinstall DM Genie with the revision 3.5 changes.
3. Start up DM Genie again and select the old 3.0 campaign.
4. Click the 'Customize->Rename for Conversion to 3.5' menu. This function will rename the skills, feats and spells whose names have changed.
5. Export your characters, monsters, and/or adventures. To save time you can export entire groups instead of one character at a time.
6. Then, create a new custom campaign using the 3.5 data sets. Go to the Campaign Manager's 'File->Create a New Campaign' menu.
7. Start up DM Genie again in the new 3.5 campaign.
8. Import all the custom items you exported previously (if any).
9. Import your characters, monsters, and/or adventures. You will encounter the 'Unknown founds during import window'. For example, the Innuendo skill is unknown because it no longer exists in 3.5. Click Ignore to continue.
10. Check your characters for errors.
11. Start playing!Good Luck!
Registration Code Reminder FAQ Articles & Links The Djinn's Library Contact Us
Copyright © Mad Scientist Studios